Acupuncture is extraordinarily safe, especially when compared to many other medical treatments/interventions. Acupuncture is routinely practiced in Europe, Australia and the Far East. The risks are extremely low when compared to Western Medicine. If such low levels of adverse effects were reported in Western Medical treatment, it would be seen as a huge success!!
Consider these data:
* There are 30,000 practicing acupuncturists in the U.S.
* Each of these sees an average of 50 patients/week
* That equals 1.5 million treatments/week and 78 million treatments/year. (Remember, this is only counting the United States!)
* The report of 50 worldwide cases of infection from acupuncture needles since 1970 amounts to a little over 1 infection/year GLOBALLY!
* From 2000-2002, there was an average of 195,000 deaths/year, due to hospital errors
* From 2000-2002, 1.14 million patients suffered “safety incidents” while under western medical care
* The United States, as well as Canada, the UK and many other countries, has strict clean needle guidelines, with laws that require single use disposable needles.
Jabbour, M., Morris, W., Schram, S. (June 2010). Clean Needles and Safety of Acupuncture. Acupuncture Today, Vol. 11, pp. 1, 30, 32.